Traveling is stressful, whether you are going on a business trip or a vacation. The stress is only increased when you are packing for a destination wedding and absolutely cannot forget anything. While a list can certainly help, there's more to it than just that. When you are traveling with certain things, you have to ensure they don't get damaged on the way to the location, such as your rings. We have more information on how to travel with your wedding bands that will help ensure their security and that they get to the destination in time for the wedding.
- Carry them on you. This is by far the easiest way to ensure that they make it to the venue. By having the rings on you, we're looking at you grooms, you know where they are and you aren't sending this precious cargo over early, ensuring that as long as you get to the right location, your rings will as well. Putting them in your carry-on luggage ensures that you are never without your bag except while you are going through security checkpoints. When you have to separate your bag from yourself, you, unfortunately, don't know where it is going, as far as if it gets put on the right plane or doesn't get removed on a transfer flight. However, as long as your carry-on is with you, so will your rings be.
- Get insurance on the rings. If your wedding bands are very expensive custom made pieces of jewelry, you may want to get insurance on them just in case. Even if you are keeping them on you in a box in your carry-on, they could still become damaged during the flight due to turbulence or even become scratched during a TSA search. There are so many variables when it comes to flying that it's best to play it safe rather than sorry. Insurance will help you to breathe easier knowing that no matter what happens to them, you won't be out thousands of dollars.
- Put them in a protected box. Don't simply put the rings in your pockets and then head out for the airport. Doing so could cause you to lose the rings when you arrive at the security gate and have to empty your pockets into a bin for TSA to scan. Instead, make sure that your wedding bands are securely stored in a padded ring box to ensure their safety throughout your trip. You can easily slip the box in your carry on luggage and you won't need to remove the ring box from your suitcase or backpack, it'll simply go through security as usual and won't incur any damage this way.
- Keep them hidden so you are not a target. If you don't make it obvious what kind of valuables you have on you, it'll be less tempting for a thief to target you. Carrying the rings in your pocket is too easy for someone to see the box imprint and know that it's jewelry, but if you have the bands at the bottom of your carry-on luggage, there is no way for them to know the value of them or that you even have them on you. However, if you have to remove them at TSA or mention it at the gate, you have the potential to lose them, which would definitely put a damper on the big day.
- Bring jewelry cleaner. Even if you take all the necessary precautions while traveling, you may still find that the rings somehow got scuffed up during the trip. Bring some jewelry cleaner with you in your bag to ensure that there are no smudges or any issues with the rings on the big day.
Knowing how to travel with your wedding bands will help ease some of the nerves before jetting off to your spectacular destination wedding. Just make a list, check it twice, and make sure you know where those rings are at all times, as they are a beautiful symbol of your lives coming together.